Thursday, April 19, 2007

"Go away! I'm batin'!"

Watched Idiocracy last night. Good stuff, but then I've always been a sucker for Mike Judge's work - he pretty much had me with the George Eliot references in an old Beavis and Butt-Head episode: "Jean Gary Diablo in Silas Murder!" which was either the sequel or prequel to "Jean Gary Diablo in Murdermarch!" I was writing my undergrad honors thesis on George Eliot's novels at the time, so Jean Gary Diablo will always occupy a special place in my heart.

Idiocracy is a bit like a live-action version of Futurama, but even more critical of corporate America and the dumbing-down of modern civilization. Plus it's got lots of fart jokes...so there's really something for everyone. The fact that Fox basically buried the film for mocking both Fox and numerous sponsors only makes the movie more enjoyable.

No comments: